Re: Any plans to continue maintaining Stardict?

Andreas Tille wrote:
>there was no upload of StarDict for a very long time.  We currently hit
>upstream version 2.4.3 which is much more powerfull and not only restricted
>to Chinese-English so much more users could profit from an updated package.
>
>The maintainer seems not to care for closing RC bugs which were fixed in
>NMU (#198113).  Moreover the package hit the innefficient packaging bug
>(#233445).
>
>The question is: Is this package really maintained?

I think you've answered that question yourself.  I believe the standard
procedure here is this:
If you or someone you're sponsoring want to maintain the package (even if you
intend to orphan it after 6 months ;-) ):
* email the "maintainer" and ask if he'll let you have it
* if he doesn't respond in a reasonable amount of time, file an 'intent to
hijack' and then do it
* if he responds and says "NO NEVER YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH MY TOYS",
come back to this list.  :-P

* otherwise, email the "maintainer" and ask if he'll consider maintaining it
better and/or orphaning it.  (In this case, however, with no currently open
RC bugs, I'd probably let him keep it unless you or someone else wants to
maintain it.)
* If the maintainer doesn't respond in a reasonable amount of time, perform a
forcible orphaning and make a QA-upload.