Re: Questions about QA work

* Josh Metzler (joshdeb@metzlers.org) [040130 22:40]:
> I am interested in helping out with QA work in Debian, and I have a couple of
> questions related to bug triaging.  I've looked at many of the bug reports
> for nedit, which was just taken over by the Debian QA Group, so I will use it
> to illustrate my questions:

Well, more or less like any other package that you maintain.

> 1) When I find an old bug that looks like it wasn't ever a problem in the
> package, what should I do? (See #103330 - > 2 years old, looks like a busted
> X install was at fault) - Do I close it?  Tag it moreinfo, then wait a while?
In this special case I'd more likly tag it "unreproducible", but
"moreinfo" is also ok.

> If so, how long?

I'd wait for a month, and then close it. (Well, not exactly a month,
but next time I look at it after the month.)

> 2) What to do with a bug that the reporter says works now? (#131659, #113054 -
> this one worked with XFree86 4.x, just not 3.x)

In 131659 is: "Feel free to close this bug.". So, just do it.

> 3) Old bugs that have been fixed but never closed? (#94612, #96453)

If they're really fixed, than close. However, a bug tagged "security"
should IMHO be double checked that it's really fixed, and that it's
fixed in all releases (woody and sid).

> 4) Old bugs that were a problem with an old version of some other package, but
> never got reassigned? (#68396, #117902 - lesstif1 bugs - but now nedit
> statically links against a new version of lesstif1, #151039, #171302 -
> gnome-terminal bugs, but a much newer version is in unstable)  Do I reassign
> them now?  Close them?  Tag them moreinfo and wait?

Try to reproduce. If not reproducible, tag them so. Rest see above.

> 5) For bugs I have tagged more info, and I don't think are a problem with
> nedit, how long do I wait before closing them? (#151039, #171302 - tagged a
> month ago, with no feedback)

1 month is IMHO usually enough.

Cheers,
Andi