Packages in need of TLC...

 [ A copy of this mail has been sent to all maintainers mentioned below, ]
 [ as well as the PTS for each package listed.                           ]

Hello QA people!

I've been going through packages with RC bugs in an attempt to help
sarge's release and I've run into a number of packages that have been
essentially orphaned by their listed maintainer through neglect.  I was
told that this list is the proper place to report this so that the
packages can be properly orphaned and looked after.

Following is a list of packages, and my analysis/reasoning that led me to
the orphan conclusion:

Package: freenet-unstable
Maintainer: Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@debian.org>
Analysis:
  Maintainer script broken for 234 days, patch sent to bts in January
  2003. No response from maintainer and no upload in a year.  Even when
  this is worked around, the app seems unusable.  I'm guessing maintainer
  isn't interested anymore since he hasn't responded to the RC bugs.  It
  would seem that this pkg is more a candidate for experimental than
  unstable, as the pkg has quite a few old important and normal bugs.
  However, don't remove from unstable b/c of dep by frost.  I will mail
  debian-qa about orphaning.

Package: realtimebattle
Maintainer: Fredrik Hallenberg <hallon@debian.org>
Analysis:
  This package has two FTBFS bugs open against (one for over a year) and
  no response from the maintainer.  Also, no uploads since 2002-02-15.

Package: preferences
Maintainer: fsmunoz@debian.org (Frederico S. Munoz)
Analysis:
  FTBFS bug open for > 3 months with no response from maintainer.  More
  disturbing however, is the important bug open for over a year entitled:
  "Kills X Server when it doesn't find a font cache".  Maintainer promised
  a new version over a year ago, and still waiting...  I will contact
  debian-qa to orphan the package.

Package: word2x
Maintainer: Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org>
Analysis:
  FTBFS bug open over 2 years, no response from the maintainer.  Last
  maintainer upload in April of 2001.  Lots of other bugs outstanding even
  if FTBFS is fixed.  This package needs a new home, debian-qa will be
  contacted.

I hope this helps!

Joe Nahmias, DD wannabe

PS - I do not subscribe to -qa, so please CC me on replies.