Need help with mgetty and maintainership problems

Hi,

I've a bit delicate problem with mgetty. The last working upload was
on 2002-12-01. I begun to beg the maintainer at the beginning of April
of fixing bugs (and tagged bugs myself and added patches).

However, all uploads since then broke outgoing fax stuff (and thus
raised a RC-bug, filled by me). I did provide patches for all these
bugs. I wrote multiple times to the maintainer and asked for inclusion
of (working) patches, at start in a very friendly way, and with much
understanding of time shortages (which I really have). I also offered
to take over maintainership, or co-maintainership if the current
maintainer prefer this.

However, as we get nearer the sarge release time, my understanding of
not inclusion the patches is shrinking. I want the current faxspooler
to be in sarge, because it is much more secure from design (not longer
running under root). I provide (working) packages at
http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/debian/mgetty-woody/

My question now is: How should I proceed? Should I do a NMU? (If yes:
Who is willing to sponsor it?) Should I try to hijack?

I'm very unsure. I don't want to walk on feet of the maintainer
unduly, but I also don't want a real old version of mgetty in sarge,
with known security problems. I would appreciate it if someone
experienced can give me a hint or hold my hand in this situation.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/