Re: Let's remove multi-gnome-terminal

At Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:04:16 +0000,
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:02:19AM -0600, Graham Wilson wrote:

> > > Err, that's a bad argument, but I use it...
> > >
> > > Do you have any drop-in remplacement solution ? That may be a stupid
> > > question, but if the package is dropped and it exists a remplacement
> > > solution, a Replace + Provide dependency may be useful to users.
> >
> > What about plain old gnome-terminal? It supports tabs...
>
> It's had the gnome2 castration ("configuration is bad"), and is now
> unusable.

   I'll go along with that. Its font selection, while fine for a word
processor, makes it hard to tell monospace fonts from the rest (and
there's no filter that I can find). And it doesn't seem to work so
well with emacs (out of the box, it doesn't recognise M-x, but mgt
does). This may be just me not trying to figure out the keybindings,
of course, but then it wasn't necessary with mgt. gnome-terminal 1,
without the tabs, worked fine; why the !@#$%^&*() they felt the need
to fiddle with it I do not know.

   As far as mgt bugs go, I posted a fix for one of the
important-level ones a month ago, but I don't see any progress on
it. I've not looked into the other bugs, but they may be fixable for
all I know.

   The only other terminal program with tabs that I know of is
powershell, which works and is, IMHO, better than gnome-terminal in
its current incarnation. I still prefer mgt though.

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)
http://www.rjmx.net/~ron