Re: How to suggest that a maintainer 'cut back'?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Is there any recognized way to suggest to developers that they need help
> with some of their packages?  :-)  I don't see one, beyond emailing them
> (and coming across as rude and arrogant) or emailing mailing lists (which
> is probably even

I never thought someone offering to become co-maintainer of a package would
be considered rude.  I've done it a few times, with different results (e.g.
I did nothing as the co-maintainer of hpijs so far, because the maintainer
suddenly got VERY responsive :) ), while in other packages, it looked like I
had more time to work on them than the maintainer, and I ended up doing most
uploads since.

OTOH, telling someone "you should offer your packages to adoption" or "you
need a co-maintainer" could be taken as rudeness by some, yes.  But then,
macho pride beyond reason (it is MY package to let rot, damn you! I don't
care you need it in better shape) is part of the Debian way, and we need to
clubber it often (oh yeah? SO take this NMU, and shut up or show some
work!).

  Henrique Holschuh