Howto tackle RC-bugs (and perhaps remove packages)?

Hi,

tackling the RC-bugs is certainly a important TODO-item. I want to do
this for the bugs I can tackle, but I have a few questions.

The RC-bugs (and the packages they belong to) can IMHO be qualified
into different categories (together with the IMHO appropriate action):

1. Package with RC-bugs that is actively worked on. Well, almost the
best case (better is only package without RC-bugs that is activley
worked on ;), so no extra action to take.

1a. Package with difficult RC-bug (and e.g. tag "help"). Someone
qualified should help, but that must happen on a case-by-case basis.

2. RC-bug has an easy-to-use patch for some time, but there was no
upload in the last time. Ask the developer why, and after two weeks do
an NMU with the patch.

3. Packages with RC-bugs that have also a lot of other bugs and no
upload in last time, means they are unmaintained. In this case raise a
bug against the package in asking the maintainer (and possibly
sponsors) whether package should be orphaned and retitle bug to orphan
after four weeks (and send copy of orphaning to d-d) unless action is
taken.

4. (For some time) Orphaned packages with more and/or difficult bugs,
including an RC-bug. Developers should be asked on d-d whether anyone
would like to adopt, and if no-one stands up remove package after four
weeks (that would mean to retitle and reassign to ftp.debian.org).

Is this procedure ok in general? Can I as a non-DD trying an NMU (with
help of a sponsor of course), and who is ready to sponsor me? Is
anyone else doing a general tackling of RC-bugs (because I want to
avoid duplicate work)?

Cheers,
Andi
--