Re: Some questions from a newbie

* Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de> [2003-07-22 00:36]:
> I'm currently looking for something I can do in Debian apart from
> my work for the web pages.
> I'm very interested in doing QA work but I have some questions about

Excellent.

> How are QA Uploads handled and coordinated? If I'm interested in
> fixing some of the bugs in the packages that are maintained by the
> QA team, should I just announce here what I'm working?

Yes.  If it's a QA upload, you an try asking for a sponsor here; the
-mentors mailing list is also an alternative.

> Is there any coordination to avoid doubled efforts?

Not really.  (But there are not many people doing QA uploads, so the
chances are low you're duplicating any effort...)

> As I'm not a DD (yet), can I ask here for someone that uploads fixed
> packages?

Sure.  Normally, you ask for a sponsor on -mentors, but for QA uploads
this list certainly is a good place.

> Is there anything one should consider doing if he wants to do QA
> work?  Any pointers? Or should I just read qa.debian.org and find me
> some work?

Unfortunately the qa.d.o web site isn't maintained that well, but
there are some things listed there.  There isn't currently much
coordination, so just just working on something you think is
important, such as checking RC bug, submitting patches to bug reports,
trying to reproduce really old bugs, etc.  There's lot of work that
can be done.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com