Re: Fixing most of GnuChess bugs

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:45:34PM +0100, tille@debian.org wrote:
> > I just uploaded new GnuChess packages to incoming.
>
>   * Switched to debhelper to
>     closes: #102449
>     (Sorry, I do not know how to close this long standing RC bug
>      in the currently used packaging system.  So I had to switch.)
Please read this sentence as very kind spelling of:
  "Sorry, I do not care about your nearly unmaintained poor package
   and like to make life for potential NMUers easier.  While I'm writing
   some manpages for you I would like to save my own time by just
   using an easy packaging system."

> The standard way, if you can't remember the shell scripting required
> offhand, is to look in /usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-doc and
> .../prerm-doc, make the obvious substitutions, and drop that code into
> the postinst and prerm. It's not too complicated.
Thanks for the hints, Colin.

In my opinion this package should be orphaned.  Look at the life time of
all those easy to fix bugs.  There are two open bugs which have to be
clarified.  I made notices in my changelog about splitting the package
into arch-depndend and arch-indpendend.  This has to be verified.

Moreover #95339 is the *real* bug which has to be fixed, but this has to
be clarified with upstream.  This *requires* an *active* maintainer!
I had the impression that with both packages (the old buggy one) and my
package the opening is brean dead slow and moreover I did not found
any relevant string for "book.dat" nor an strace found out that this
file was opened automatically.  Neither where there any visible hint
about askng gnuchess to use the opening book.

Kind regards

         Andreas, while uploading gnuchess_5.03-0.2 which fixes the
                  stupid #138829.