Re: Wanted: Debian package vitality index

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:58:55AM +0100, Johan Walles wrote:
> I would like to see a Freshmeat like vitality index for Debian
> packages.  Basically, it is a measurement of how actively a package is
> being maintained.  My intended use for it is that when there are
> several packages providing the same functionality, I can try the most
> actively maintained one first.

It sounds more like a "volatility index" as you describe it.  As a very
coarse measure of how actively maintained a package is, it might be of
some value.  But it says absolutely nothing about the quality of a
package which in my mind would be the number one factor that would be of
use to the average user in choosing one package over another.  Software
that has reached maturity will score much lower on the "vitality index"
simply because most of the bugs have been shaken out, and few new
features need to be added.  Why should someone choose a package that
changes frequently?  Changes alone do not indicate that a package is
of any better quality than another.  A thoroughly rotten design may need
constant changes to make a workable piece of software, whereas a well-
thought-out design may need only occasional work to keep the software
useful to its user base.

> I would like to see the vitality score presented on all package web
> pages, and in a separate list.  Also, I would like to see it in
> dselect, but I realize that is an order of magnitude more complicated
> so I'll hardly press the issue.

I have no objection to a separate list on someone's personal web site if
some people find these numbers of use.  I strongly object to having the
index appear on Debian's package web pages or in dselect.

The whole idea reeks of "marketing" new, unstable software.  I hardly
think this is what Debian is all about.  Let Freshmeat continue to post
their vitality index, and if people want to make use of those numbers,
let them go to Freshmeat.  I don't think this index has any value to
Debian.

Ben