Re: QA logbook

Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 06:13:28PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Martin (Joey) Schulze and I were talking on IRC about how to make QA
> > work more public. Joey was looking for something he could report in DWN
> > about QA's progress and the progress of the release, partly because good
> > QA is something the project should be talking about, partly to help get
> > new people interested and generally improve and speed up QA, and partly
> > because seeing progress is a good way to improve morale (at least I know
> > it's good when I can see my bug count go down).
>
> Indeed. But OTOH this looks like a major time hog for me. Even discussing
> how to implement this can take a lot of time from our fellow developers.
> Not that I am against it, but I think we would need something to report
> on first.

Like Colin said, let all implementation things alone aside.  Writing
a 1-line mail to log@qa.debian.org which ends up in one person's mailbox
who will add it to a web page with a timestamp, would be sufficient.
--> that's very little additional work, one only has to write three
more lines (to, subject, body) than before.

The question remains, do you think this will help QA work and will you
provide some information that are not yet seen on this list, so they
can be summarized?

> > The sort of things we might want to report on could be:
> >
> >   * "fixed/downgraded n bugs in the base system"
> >   * "triaged a ton of bug reports, worked out they don't affect woody"
> >   * "moved all QA packages to packages@qa"
> >   * "fixed 30 bugs in orphaned packages"
> >   * "look at the RC bug graph dropping like a stone! [link]"
>
> Problem is somebody had to do this stuff before we can report it...

Just fix two bugs and drop a mail "two rc bugs fixed in foo".
see the bug graph drop -> send a mail "rc bugs dropping, cause of
reclassification" etc.

> > Adrian's task list might be a good place to start.
> Where was it again?

See the last DWN, there's a link (in the next one as well...)

Regards,

	Joey