Re: Work-needing packages report for Dec 7, 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 wnpp@debian.org wrote:

> Report about packages that need work for Dec 7, 2001
>
> Total number of packages offered up for adoption: 54
> Number of packages offered up for adoption this week: 2
> Total number of orphaned packages: 78
> Number of packages orphaned this week: 2
>
> The number in parenthesis after each package name is the corresponding
> bug report number.
>
> Please refer to http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ for more information.

> The following packages are orphaned:

>    python-gendoc (#72440), orphaned 437 days ago
>
>    python-gendoc (#72440), orphaned 437 days ago
There is something wrong with the script which generates this wnpp list ...
I think it is enough if this package is listed once.  Perhaps this is
triggered by the SPAM mail which reached the BTS over the address of the
bug?

By the way:  The changelog says:

python-gendoc (0.73-5.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * NMU. Use python2.1.

 -- Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>  Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:53:41 +0100

python-gendoc (0.73-5) unstable; urgency=low

  * Orphaned package. Use python-happydoc instead.
  * Fix .prerm script (closes: #95954).

 -- Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>  Thu, 24 May 2001 12:36:42 +0200

So we have a substitute package in Debian which seems to have same or
better functionality.  Moreover the URL in the copyright file has the
response:

File Not Found
The requested URL /crew/danilo/ was not found on this server.

So I suggest there should be a

   Replaces: python-gendoc
   Provides: python-gendoc
   Conflicts: python-gendoc

in the python-happydoc package and drop python-gendoc because it seems
even upstream dead. (A quick Google search had only links to the Debian
Packages on the first pages.)

Kind regards

         Andreas.