Re: more about /usr/share transition

Martin Quinson <Martin.Quinson@ens-lyon.fr> wrote:
>But what about a dh_fhs part (or what ever) of debhelper which would add
>these lines to the good scripts, and move /usr/doc files to there correct
>location. I mean, would it be usefull, or is it overkill ?

I think you misunderstand what debhelper scripts do. You can create a
debhelper script which automates some common task: for instance,
dh_installdocs already installs documentation files in the correct place
and installs the symlink. However, you can't as such create a debhelper
script which fixes some common bug, not in the sense of fixing the whole
archive in one easy step.

Doing the FHS transition in a package is already trivial, even in
packages that need more than a rebuild with a newer version of
debhelper. The social aspects (i.e. persuading people to do it or
following the polite steps to NMU their packages) are much harder, and
you can't automate them. We're nearly there, though.