Some QA activity...

QA has seen some activity recently and some new maintainers are
interested in helping out, so I thought it would make sense to give a
summary what has recently been done.  Perhaps we can get a discussion
going on where to go, and find some volunteers.

  - Many bugs in the BTS had an unknown owner -- ie the bugs were
    assigned to packages which no longer exist.  I went through most
    of them, reassigned or closed them.

  - In order to avoid this in the future, I have some scripts and AJ
    made some changed to the BTS.  Bugs reported against unknown
    packages (e.g. 'Package: deb-conf' instead of 'debconf') will be
    sent to unknown-packages@qa.debian.org, archived on qa.d.o and
    sent to me.  I reassign them.

  - When packages are removed from Debian, mail is sent to
    removed-package@qa.debian.org, and I reassign or close the open
    bugs of that package (and talk to the maintainer).

  - 2 Bug Parties have been organized by Jordi so far.  Many helpers
    are fixing many RC bugs.  Also, maintainers who appear to be MIA
    are found.

  - I have coded some scripts which keeps records of MIA maintainers.
    When I contact a maintainer, I send mail to a QA script which logs
    the mail and a summary.  So we have a nice record of what's going
    on.  This should allow several people to work together.  The
    scripts are on pandora in /org/qa.debian.org/mia

tbm@pandora: ./mia-history
bsulcer:
    2001-03-17: orphaning mgt, jordi has already put Maintainer: to QA Team
    2001-03-17: jordi NMUs/QAs mgt -- initial release in 1996 and 2 NMUs
    2001-03-18: contact brian, ask what's up, and suggest retiring
heiko:
    2001-02-25: vorlon NMUs dbf2mysql
    2001-03-17: cjwatson NMUs titrax
    2001-03-18: mail heiko, asking abour orphaning / retiring
[...]

   There's a mailing list (.forward file) for this.  If you want to be
   subscribed, let me know.  I don't want this traffic to be piped to
   debian-qa@lists, since it could contain information which should
   not be archived in a puclic place.

   Anyway, it works like this: say I think that maintainer 'badguy' is
   MIA, then I contact him and CC the mail to mia-badguy@qa.debian.org.

  - weasel is also working on some nice scripts to find wrong
    dependencies and stuff.

  - As mentioned before, I want to set up a CVS rep for such scripts
    and for the WML (web) data.  Yes, the QA web site sucks.
    Volunteers are welcome!

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com