Re: Work-needing packages report for Feb 23, 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Brian Russo wrote:

> >  It's either that or ask for an override, which means that when and if
> >  the package gets adopted you have to ask for a change again, which puts
> >  more work on the shoulders of ftp admins.  I rather put more work on
> >  the shoulders of a machine.  What is that?  That I'm going to break
> >  packages by doing this?  That they won't autobuild anymore?  See
> >  closing comment on previous paragraph.
>
> Agreed that it's far from ideal (a mess).
>
> How about the following Best Practice then:
>
> For Orphaned WNPP packages;
> 	After a period of 28 days they should have an upload made to set
> 	the maintainer to Debian QA.

That means you want to put work on some people to get the bug reports to
Debian QA where they belong to. I think it's the best when the old
maintainer does an immediate upload with the maintainer set to Debian QA.

> In ALL cases, discretion should be used. The goal is not to

What do you mean with "discretion should be used"??? I always thought
Debian was an open project and that "We Won't Hide Problems"?

> systematically exterminate wnpp packages from the archive simply
> because they're declared wnpp, but rather to have some reasonable
> process of having wnpp packages slip away.
>
> Please comment on what you think would be better lengths of time.
> I am not proposing an automatic removal system, I want to emphasize
> this!
>
> But I do think that if we can all agree on guidelines for
> handling WNPP packages we might be able to deal with them more
> efficiently. ITA's for example, should expire. Lots of people don't
> adopt things because "some other guy is doing it" when in fact he has
> forgotten/abandoned it long ago.

Please always remember your "I am not proposing an automatic removal
system": The guidelines are only guidelines for people that look into a
WNPP bug before they do an action.

>  - brian.

cu
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.