Re: Uploads for asmodem and knews

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 02:28:19PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've uploaded new packages for asmodem and knews to fix some bugs in these
> packages.

As I said several hours ago,
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa-0102/msg00163.html

so..
I've moved the asmodem packages from /incoming to my ~ on auric, I'm
sure your package is fine, but I'd like to make this package
DFSG-free before uploading a fixed one into main, if the situation
can't be resolved (I doubt it), it should go into non-free.

COPYRIGHT
---------
    All asmodem type modifications are Copyright(c) 1996 Rob Malda.

    This program is based on Asmail which is
    Copyright (c) 1996 by Per Liden. No guarantees
    or warranties are provided, use this program at your own risk.
    It may be freely copied and used as long as this copyright-notice
    is left intact.

This license does not meet criteria 3 of the DFSG "Derived Works"
i.e. it does not expressly permit modifications and redistributing
modified stuff.

I've emailed Malda asking for clarification, etc.
I really think it's best that we wait until hearing from the
upstream before continuing to upload to main.

moreover!
ASModem, from which ASMail is derived, is licensed under GPL, which
means ASModem must (according to GPL, as I understand it) be also
GPL, however, this is not the case, which makes it .. illegal?

I have no idea, while I //really// don't anticipate any legal action
from anyone or similar, I think it's better to simply wait a while,
if not just as a matter of procedure.

 - brian.

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>