the problem explained

<Md> Manoj: can you check what is inside the batchfile innxmit is refusing?
<Manoj> md: the batchfile is a ls -1 listing of message files
<Md> Manoj: file names? With full path?
<Manoj> md: The message files are in /var/spool/suck/glaurung/
<Manoj> md: The message files are in /var/spool/suck/glaurung/
<Manoj> md: yup
<Md> Manoj: the only thing I can think is innxmit dropped support for
   non-storage API batches
<Manoj> md: umm, that is not good, as it beraks things like suck
[...]
<Manoj> md: or more of a transition scheme: have suck say that the conflict
   with the new inn2
<Manoj> md: we definitely need to have suck and inn have some kind of
   conflicts so that innn just doens't stop working after an upgrade
<Md> Manoj: BTW, I think rpost is broken too when using the storage API
<Md> Manoj: yes, but I think this is a suck bug
<Manoj> md: I think we do not want to take inn2 into testing until *after* the
   conflicts relations are in place.
<Manoj> md: how can it be a suck bug?
<Md> Manoj: it fails to use the storage API
<Md> Manoj: suck should really make a rnews batch file, it's abusing innxmit
[...]
<Manoj> md: that is the documented behaviour of innxmit.
<Md> Manoj: OK, I agree that the documentation is obsolete
<Manoj> md: then it is inn that changed it's behaviour; it is up to inn to
   manage the transition.
<Md> Manoj: this is silly. innxmit is *NOT* a way to inject articles inside
   INN
<Md> Manoj: you should make a trivial script which takes the articles from the
   suck spool, adds #! rnews nnn headers and pipes them to rnews
<Manoj> md: an undocumented change, or even a documented but sudden change in
   a pculic API with no trasition processes or upgrade paths is, IMHO, a grave
   bug.
<Md> Manoj: I'll say it again: other programs are NOT supposed to use innxmit.
   they should use rpost
<Manoj> md: That may well be true now. But innxmit has been exposed as a
   public interface (why document it in section 8 if it is an internal
   script?)
<Manoj> md: if you want people to not use it in the future, fine, that is your
   right. But set an upgrade path in place.
<Manoj> md: I think you may want to file a bug on suck to resolve this
<Md> Manoj: it's documented because you have to know what to put in newsfeeds
   to write the correct batchfile
<Md> Manoj: I'll Cc the suck maintainer
[...]
<Md> Manoj: agreed. it's actually much simpler to fix the bug in suck making
   it create rnews batches than to teach innxmit again about files and paths
<Manoj> md: ok. But the conflicts lines need to go into both packages
<Manoj> so someone partially upgrading from potato to woody is not
   unnecesarily distressed.

--
ciao,
Marco