Re: crafty: suggesting bugfixes

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 02:44:38PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > W: crafty: file-in-unusual-dir var/games/crafty/books.bin
> > W: crafty: non-standard-file-perm var/games/crafty/books.bin 0664 != 0644
> The first message is because we don't generally install files in /var at
> all. I've talked to the previous maintainer of crafty about this and he
> had some reason to put them in /var, but it's IMHO broken.

Depending on what /var/games/crafty/books.bin is meant to be, some options
would be to:

	* if its just a static component of the package that no one ever
	  has reason to modify:
		- mark it as a non conffile, change perms to 0644, leave it
		  as is
		- move it to usr/lib or usr/share
	* if it changes in the general course of the program (like a high
	  score or something), but isn't meant to be changed by hand
		- put the initial version of the file in usr/lib, and copy
		  that into place in the postinst; since it's a .bin the
		  conffile handling probably isn't too useful anyway (diff
		  for example probably isn't too constructive). rm it by
		  hand in the postrm on purge.
	* if it is meant to be changed by hand
		- put it in /etc, mark it as a conffile; add a symlink from
		  /var if necessary

Depends what books.bin actually is though, of course.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001