Re: RC bugs in packages maintained by this list

On 17/10/01, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:44:32AM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Grave functionality bugs - outstanding

> >      * #59031: ssh2: ssh2_2.0.13-5 sshd cannot create .Xauthority
> >        Package: ssh2; Severity: grave; Reported by: Ian Eure
> >        <ieure@insynq.com>; 1 year and 235 days old.
> > Serious policy violations - outstanding

> >      * #60498: new SSH2 broke SSH1 (sshd2 reports v2.0 not 1.99)
> >        Package: ssh2; Severity: serious; Reported by: Scott Jennings
> >        <smj@oro.net>; 1 year and 216 days old.

> And a few more. It's buggy, and real ssh does the job; I'm not aware
> of any compelling justification for it's continued existance. I
> suggest it should be removed from the archive.

If I remember correctly, then ssh2 offers some authentication and chroot
options, that are not available with OpenSSH. And I'm not sure if all
those features will be implemented into OpenSSH too. So therefor I would
be for keeping that package around and only agree with it's removal, if
our ssh maintainer also agrees with such a removal, because he be should
know best the differences from OpenSSH to the commercial ssh
client/server. And if it's worth it to keep both around or not.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)