Re: Install Report (b-f 3.x ia64; cdrom/net; standard)

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:21:55PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Everything more or less worked; one glitch is that I had configured
> > static network support, but after the reboot a dhcp client started up
> > and overwrote my static IP and DNS settings.
>
> Ethan Benson reported this as well.  This is very bad, the bugs have
> been filed for a while.
>
> Apparently there is a fixed version of this package in experimental.
> We need fixes for this (and #103813) propogated into woody for the
> base freeze, and it should be done as soon as possible.

I tried dhcp-client 3.0 beta from experimental on hppa, and it
fixed this problem.  Size is likely to be a problem though.  For
hppa, version 2 is 123K, version 3 is 519K.  On ia64 the version 3
binary was 1.6M, but I assume that was due to some build problem!

All that is needed to make version 2 work is for the links in /etc/rc?d
to start/stop dhcp-client to be removed.  I did hack my debootstrap
to do that at the end of install at one time, and it worked fine.

Never tried pump on ia64 or hppa.

Richard