RE: Do we need a new Lintian maintainer ?

On 19-Jul-2001 Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   It has been a while since lintian has been updated and it seems
>   that Sean (shaleh) has not more time to work on it (Sean, can you
>   confirm?).
>   Lintian is one of the most important tools in Debian allowing us
>   to check if our packages follow the latest version of the policy
>   That's why one must ensure that lintian is always up-to-date.
>
>   It would be logical if policy people or QA people could take it
>   over. Some people mentioned Colin Watson who did a great job with
>   bringing a lot of patches. What do you think about this Colin?

So, here's the whole scoop.

I can no longer do my Debian hacking at work, which took away most of my free
time for Debian.  On top of this my gpg key is stuck on a hard drive.  I have
to take my machine apart, pop in the new drive and get the key off.  So I have
not uploaded anything in some time.  I am hoping to have the ability to fix
this over the coming weekend.

That said, yes I have seriously considered handing lintian over to a new
steward.  I can not even irc from work (damn firewalls) which makes talking to
everyone on #debian-devel more difficult.  If people want to approach me about
taking over lintian I will discuss it with them.

It deeply saddens me that I have lost my time for Debian.  This project has
been a part of me since I started hacking.  Married life has taken more time
than I ever expected.  At the moment I have no plans of leaving the project.
If someone takes over lintian I only have a few packages left to hand off.
blackbox and friends have a slow development process which I track anyways so I
would like to keep them.