Re: Libraries to move to oldlibs

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Edward Betts wrote:

> What follows is a list of libraries that are included in Debian, outside the
> oldlibs section. All of the libraries listed have a newer version available.
> My question, is what should be done with these libraries?
> libqt2 (2 bugs) - move to oldlibs, and file bugs against packages requesting
> that they be recompiled with libqt3, do not remove libqt2 from oldlibs for
> some time, because packages outside of Debian might be compiled against it.
>
> libxml1 (2 bugs) - it is my understanding that the API changed between libxml1
> and libxml2 and some effort is required to port. Maybe libxml1 should be moved
> to oldlibs to show that it is deprecated.
>
> * Old libraries that no programs are using:
> libgmp2 (5 bugs), libgtk1 (3 bugs), libxdelta2 (0 bugs), plib1.3 (0 bugs)
>
> These libraries should be removed from Debian.
>
> * Old libraries that a few programs depend on:
> libasound0.4 (0 bugs) - xamixer-0.4 (1 bug) (replaced with gamixer)
> libbz2 (0 bugs) - clanlib0-common
> libcap1 (1 bug) - zsh, libpam-modules, zsh-beta
> libpisock3 (1 bug) - yank, gnome-pilot-conduits, libpqa
> libsdl-image1.0 (0 bugs) - dossizola, bugsquish, madbomber
> libsdl-mixer1.0 (0 bugs) - gemdropx, bugsquish, madbomber
> libsdl1.0 (1 fixed bug) - dossizola, gemdropx, bugsquish, xsabre, madbomber
> libxaw6 (0 bugs) - rosegarden (6 bugs)
> plib1 (0 bugs) - flightgear (10 bugs)
> vflib2 (6 open bugs, 3 fixed bugs) - dvi2ps, mgp, xdvik-ja
>
> These libraries should all be moved to oldlibs, bugs should be filed against
> the packages that depend on them, all but libsdl* and libxaw6 should be
> removed from Debian once there are no packages compiled against them.

There are several commercial programs that use SDL (especially games).
When we remove libsdl1.0 it might be that our users won't be able to run
some of them without manually installing the old SDL libraries - and they
will blame Debian for this. This might also be a reason to keep some of
the other libraries.

(but there's no reason against moving them to oldlibs)

cu
Adrian (who knows several people who switched to Debian because Debian
        has a working libc5)

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400