Static checking of source code

First of all, I'm not on this, so I assume you know the deal.

During the very interesting talk of Martin Michlmayr about Debian QA this
morning, I had an idea: Why not use a static source checker to detect common
simple mistakes like assumptions about the (un)signedness of char which can
cause problems on non-i386 and automatically let the maintainers know about
them? That's only one example of course.

I don't have the knowledge nor do I think I'll have the time to do it myself,
but I thought I'd bring it up here regardless. I provide a link to information
about the Stanford Metacompilation Project, hoping that it might be useful:

http://www.stanford.edu/~engler/mc-osdi.ps