thanks i.e. for update slink -> potato

Hello,

while I'm not new on www.debian.org it's the first time I send something
back to Debian's people. So excuse me, if I took the wrong addressees for
this mail and give me an advice I can follow next time ... OK?

Well, I'm interested in Linux about half a year. I'll never know again
where I heared about Debian ... maybe it was an on-line diskussion on
advantages and disadvantages of various Linux distributions. However:

 I thank for the decision I made for Debian GNU/Linux !!!

All the time there was nobody (physical) nearby to give me any advice
despite of some hints for using the bash from a free-BSD user (He urgently
recommended BSD to me ...). Knowing I would take the hardest way down to the
depths of Linux I made it, driven by the idea that the computer administrator
should CONTROL what's going on on his/her system. Clear stable systems are the
promise of people behind the Debian distribution. After much learning in
HOWTO's, manpages, etc. I have now three machines up with Debian GNU/Linux
2.2, two are dual bootable for convenience of me as an "upgrader" from Win9x
:-)

With the information from to mailing lists I made a REALLY painless update
from slink to potato on all three machines with apt via ftp.
Here is what I did:

(after updating my "/etc/apt/sources" with current IP numbers(!)
  of the ftp hosts instead of "ftp.debian.org" and other sites plus the
 new paths  "*/non-US main contrib non-free"  instead of old  "*/non-US")

# some important lines from /etc/apt/sources
#deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free #is now
deb ftp://141.76.2.4/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb ftp://141.76.2.4/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# and mirror sites with same style ...

 (thanks for details in the documents "ch-upgrading.en.html" and
  "ch-upgrading.de.html" from Debian Documentation Project team
   <debian-doc@lists.debian.org> )

 > dpkg -i /*path*/dpkg_1.6.13_i386.deb
 > dpkg -i /*path*/apt_0.3.19_i386.deb

 (downloaded from
  "http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/upgrade-i386/";)

  (thanks to: Ron Rademaker <ron@wep.tudelft.nl>)

 > apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade

> dselect (with the apt access-method)
 did the rest for me to get some new useful packages
 including the masqdailer(!)

Only trouble was with libpam0g which stopped the apt-process. Removing it,

 > dpkg --configure -a

and again

 > apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade

brought everything back to normal.
 Nothing else. By the way: libpam0g was automatically reinstalled with the
new version.

Finally: MANY, MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! KEEP ON GOING. YOU ALWAYS MAKE A
GREAT "JOB" WITH THE DEBIAN DISTRIBUTION! QUIT SILENT ... BUT POWERFUL.

Sincerely

Steffen Haas

= Debian GNU/Linux: When code matters more than comercials. =