hwtools going multiarch

Hello,

I sent few weeks ago a request to enhance hwtools for multiarch support (#58060).
However, I received no response from Siggy Brentrup even though the BTS told me
that he is the current maintainer of this package.
Then I wrote him directly yesterday (got his real address, bsb@north.de, by
browsing the devel mailing list archive), and received back an answer just few
hours later.  In effect he does not maintain this package anymore since 1997
but it is not declared orphaned (could be a bug in Debian web pages).
I saw some discussions about this package on this list so I guess it's the
right place to continue...

I'm willing to open the scsi stuff of hwtools to all Debian architectures
(especially scsiinfo & scsidev).  I've succedeed to using it with really minor
fixes on sparc.
However, half part of this package is really i386 specific (memtest86, irqtune,
...) while the other half part is in no mean restricted to i386 (they are
generic scsi tools).
So I don't think the right way will be to build a non-i386 hwtools package that
only contains the scsi stuff.  Instead I'd rather like to split these tools out
of hwtools and create a new scsitools package.
I can offer to actively maintain this new package but not the i386 stuff of
hwtools.  hwtools will still remain to provide irqtune, memtest86, qic02conf
and scanport.
I especially wrote support for running scsidev at boot time (to populate
/dev/scsi) using an updated scsidev (2.10 from SuSE, made by Kurt Garloff
<garloff@suse.de>, see http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/scsidev/).  It allows
to give a fixed name to each scsi device even when adding or removing devices
from the SCSI chain.
I also took a look at the BTS about this package and saw several bugs reported
against scsidev.  I guess this release fixes them.

I'm afraid it's too late for potato to provide this package, even though
scsitools are best suited for sparc, alpha and ppc because they are mainly SCSI
platforms.
Anyway, I can work on it for woody (and any later 2.2.n release).

What do you think about this proposal?

--
 Eric Delaunay                 | S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y
 delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr | a pas de problème.   Devise Shadok.