Debian 2.1 updates on CD image?

Hello,

I currently use Redhat. As I'd like to introduce my brother to Linux I

thought he could try Debian. It turned out to be more complicated than I thought.

I burned the two official Debian CDs (2.1r3). As I understand they are based on

kernel 2.0.x. - that's to old for me. So I thought I need an updates CD or extras

CD or something. As I try to find some CD images for this on the net I only stumble

onto obscure generation scripts (that run on a Debian installation - I've got Redhat)

It seems I can't run the generation scripts without much trouble. I will probably be

able to install Debian from the boot able 2.1 disks, but my brothers computer has only

a slow modem connection to the internet and I'd like the updates to be available on CD

for him. I'm especially interested in 2.2.x kernel and its module feature and in the

voice mgetty program. (gnome needs to be as new as possible too...)

my questions:

- is there some updates or extras CD image on the net ?

- must the updates or extras CD be in a specific format?

- is there some potato CD image on the net?

I've put some time and effort into this and I must say it's messy. I'd hope there

was a site on the net with _ready_ CD images to burn. (and mirrors to that...)

thank you for your time...

--    )((
     +A-A+
     < U >       http://members.tripod.com/~Dr_Quick
"If you slacken the string too loosely, it will not sound
 and if you pull it too tight, it will snap."
   - Siddhartha Gautama - India from c.560 to c.480 bc.
"You always become the thing you fight the most."
  - Carl Gustav Jung - "Diagnosing the Dictators."
    In Hearst's International Cosmopolitan, January 1939 pp.22