Re: Debian QA Group and orphaned

From: Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
Subject: Re: Debian QA Group and orphaned
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:19:27 +0200

> > Does this mean that orphaned packages are not necessarily
> > withdrawn but are maintained by the Debian QA Group ?
>
> Yes. In some cases, QA Group maintains the package until the next
> release, sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends on the importance
> of the package in question usually.
>
> > If so, when and how a package is withdrawn from distribution ?
>
> If the previous maintainer, or someone else files a bug against
> ftp.debian.org asking for removal of the package.
>
> Though I have not yet witnessed any other type of withdrawal,
> I think the QA Group manager can do this with several packages, too.

I see. Then basically the (previous) maintainer decides this.

> > And does an orphaned package maintained by the Debian QA Group is
> > really maintained by the Debian QA Group ?
>
> QA Group will fix the release critical bugs in the package. Anything
> else is not guaranteed.

Okay, I can understand the role of QA group on orphaned packages.

From: Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:53:09 +0200

> > And why I can not found dvi2tty in doc/prospective-packages.html
>
> Actually, I found the real reason - Darren Stalder wanted to
> adopt this package. Talk to him, his e-mail is torin@daft.com

Good news ! If someone, Darren Stalder in this case, will
adopt dvi2tty then it is okay because I am not a developer
yet.

By the way, I have second patch of dvi2tty which makes dvi2tty

- usually it behaves in the same way as the present one, that is
  to show Japanese characters it must use option -J
- under LANG=ja_JP.ujis (i.e. for Japanese users) it can show
  Japanese characters without options

When Darren Stalder will start maintaining dvi2tty I will
post the above patch.

Thank you for your kind and detailed comments.

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>