Re: RFC: Debian Quality Assurance Group

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 02:12:21AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > I have adjusted Vincent Renardias' proposal which Martin Schulze
> > kindly dug out of the archives. Here it is, and I hope you all
> > will have something to say about it, especially if there are any
> > errors to correct. After we make a conclusion and any needed changes,
> > we must determine where to put this.
>
> I wonder why you have skipped most of the text from my proposal?

No I didn't! Or at least it was not my intention to do so. Please point
me to the parts of the text you *posted* I missed...

> You are trying to redifine QA.  Please find out what Quality
> Assurance stands for.  And please go back and read the text
> I have posted.

No. You did NOT post this part.

> For example it tells you:
>
> What is debian-qa and is it eatable?
>
>   QA stands for Quality Assurance and is intended to keep the quality
>   of the distribution as high as it should be.  At the moment there is
>   no real Quality Assurance for Debian.
>
> Do we need Quality Assurance?
>
>   With the growing number of developers working on Debian (>500
>   registrated developers at the moment) QA is urgently needed.  It is
>   very interesting (and usually not the case) that the quality of
>   Debian is still that high.  With companies having more than 500
>   concurrent developers ... I don't want to think about this...
>
>   Although we have strict rules (Policy) that defines requirements for
>   packages there is still missing a "department" which assures that
>   every package is packaged well and integrates in the system nicely.

I'll be glad to include something like this - but I first have to see
it! You posted only the uploads related material, and when I asked you
to give me the whole thing you couldn't. Can you do it now?

> Working on orphaned packages is only a side effect of the QA team.
> It is NOT the main goal of QA.

I didn't think that it was the main goal, just a (visible) duty of the
group members until the maintainer is found (or the package withdrawn).
I'll be happy to rephrase/change any part of the text that conflicts
with this. And remember, the text is just a start.