Re: Another job for the QA team

Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 09:21:58PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > We should detect superflous {pre,post}{inst,rm} questions and ask the
> > maintainers to remove them.
> >
> > Rationale:
> >
> >   Debian GNU/Linux is already known as the one and only distribution
> >   that bothers the user with as many questions as it can.  This makes
> >   the installation of Debian somewhat painful and non-intactive.
> >   Although there is - theoretically - another sub-project that
> >   addresses non-interactive installations which should try to reduce
> >   user required input of data.
>
> ... but that is not yet finished.
>
> One more reason not to have press-enter-to-continue's in maintainer
> scripts, even if the information or question presented seems important
> (some "crucial" change to a conffile or something like that): if you
> have something to say, don't put press-enter after displaying the
> information, but send the info to our FAQ maintainer for inclusion in
> Debian FAQ.

*cough* Is the FAQ maintained?  I haven't read it for a looooooooooooong
time.

finlandia!joey(tty6):~> l /pub/debian/doc/FAQ/index.html
-r--r--r--   2 ftpadmin ftpadmin    14550 Jan 28 10:12 /pub/debian/doc/FAQ/index.html

Hmm, maintained is not exactly what I would call this...

But you're probably right.  It should also appear in a readme file
in /usr/doc/<pkg name> which is the place where I would look for
additional information - which is also stated in the policy.

> There should be something in the Policy about not putting unusable
> or not set up correctly by default configuration files in the package?

Yes.  If not, contact the policy group.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin