Re: Reviving Debian QA

On Sunday 28 March 1999, at 21 h 48, the keyboard of Martin Schulze
<joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:

> [ Mailing to Debian Development and Debian QA, please send replies
>   *only* to Debian QA <debian-qa@lists.debian.org> ]

As you wish but please CC: me, I'm not on debian-qa.

> What is debian-qa and is it eatable?

I agree with Adam that the goals seem very broad. Reading your message, one
could think that Debian-QA is everything in Debian. Is QA really the technical
direction of Debian or is it more a "sweeper" checking packages in the back
office?

I do not find a document on the Web server <http://www.debian.org/devel/>
describing what is QA (my management wants me to do QA here, with ISO 9001 and
so on, but it's probably not the same).

>   Although we have strict rules (Policy) that defines requirements for
>   packages there is still missing a "department" which assures that
>   every package is packaged well and integrates in the system nicely.

Isn't it the job of developers? And isn't checking the role of every other
developer? As a packager myself, I appreciate, first the m68k porting team,
for their good bug reports, which helped me a lot to improve the quality of my
packages, then the other developers and users who fill in the BTS, our main QA
tool and something we should be proud of.

>  . Check old bugs - and work on them
>
>  . Check packages with lots of bugs - and work on them

This is the normal job of any developer. I took over dupload and squashed two
dozens if bugs. Am I doing QA?

>  . Check if packages are policy conforming

Isn't it done by dinstall? I had several packages rejected by it, so there is
a control.

I'll add one: one of the worst packages, with respect with the BTS, is the BTS itself <http://bugs.debian.org/bugs.debian.org>. Bugs, even important and easy-to-fix, are obviously completely ignored, which is a shame. Next QA goal: fix the bugs (no, I cannot do a NMU, I'm not root on the machine which runs the BTS).