Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

Christian Kurz schrieb am Dienstag, den 30. November 1999:

> Does netscape really needs libc5?

> shorty@jupiter% ldd /opt/netscape/netscape
[...]
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40151000)

> This Version oft Netscape doesn't need a libc5 and is running very
> well here. So why do we need the libc5 version?

My experience is, that the libc6 versions of netscape 4.61 and 4.7 are
not really stable with libc 6.1.  To be precise, both programs often
(not always) die, when you enter a wrong password or when you close a
netscape window (I normally work with many netscape windows, which can
be opened by pressing Alt-n or by opening a new URL with the middle
mouse button.  Then I close unneeded windows by simply "deleting" them
via the window manager.  The libc6 versions of Netscape often
completely die when closing one window).  In contrast to this,
netscape was much more stable with libc 6.0 and also the libc 5
versions are much more stable than the libc6 version in combination
with libc 6.1.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--