Re: ps reports Error: /proc must be mounted and also Segmentation fault?

On Fri Nov 26, 1999 at 04:27:15AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> I am just playing around with bf-common, not really knowing what I am doing.
> However, the following does not look right:
>
> rakefet:/# ps
> Error: /proc must be mounted
>   To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
>       /proc   /proc   proc    defaults
>   In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
> Segmentation fault
> rakefet:/#
>
> I mean, why does it says Segmentation fault if it has the Error?
> The Error is correct. I did not mount proc.

Hmm.  I'm not able to reproduce this here.

    [andersen@slag boot-floppies]$ cp root1440.bin /tmp/root1440.bin.gz
    [andersen@slag boot-floppies]$ cd /tmp/
    [andersen@slag /tmp]$ gunzip root1440.bin.gz
    [andersen@slag /tmp]$ sudo mount ./root1440.bin /floppy -t ext2 -o loop
    [andersen@slag /tmp]$ sudo chroot /floppy bin/ash
    [\u@\h \W]\$ mount
    /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
    [\u@\h \W]\$ ps
      PID  Uid      Gid State Command
    [\u@\h \W]\$ mount proc /proc -t proc
    [\u@\h \W]\$ ps
      PID  Uid      Gid State Command
	1 root     root     S init [4]
	2 root     root     S kflushd
	[----------snip------------]
    [\u@\h \W]\$ mount
    /dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    /dev/loop0 on /floppy type ext2 (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)

Could you share a bit more detail?  Is this the boot-floppies
from CVS, or the slink boot floppies?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/