Re: Debian membership (with a twist)

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> Debian has some big advantages over any other distribution I know of
> that make me want to contribute to Debian rather than another one. But
> months for getting a membership, isn't that risking that new volunteers
> will turn to Mandrake or Stampede for example, and work to put the nice
> things that Debian has (best package management, all the tools to manage
> alternatives / rc / cron / MIME / etc.) in them?

Yes, this is exactly the problem, and it's a big reason why I installed
FreeBSD over Debian last night. I had hoped that the new school year would
bring some energy to this project, but it's still the same old bickering,
the same lack of forward movement, and new-maintainers still hasn't
bothered to respond to my application (sent about 6 months ago).

FreeBSD looks pretty good so far. Too bad it messes up /usr/local, but I
can probably get used to that and put my own binaries somewhere else.