Re: QA more visible to users...

Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 07:34:57PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
>
> > Maybe James is a little bit busy and forgot to apply and make a new
> > release to fix this bug? Have you asked him, why he didn't applied your
> > patch?
>
> I asked him on irc. He told me he would look at it at the weekend (that was 3
> month ago). He also told me that he does not accept patches from everybody and
> would check the patch first.

Blah.  This really sucks.

a) It was way less than 3 months ago.
b) I said I would look at it _last_ week, as that was the first week
   I'd had off from work in 6 months.  As it turned out, my holiday
   became this week for various reasons.  And I have looked at the
   patch this week.
c) I said I don't just apply patches, *whoever* they come from, I have
   to understand them first.

If you're going to quote off IRC, please try and retain a semblance of
reality.

Look, I'm _sorry_ I haven't applied your patch, but I have very little
free time, and I have to prioritise it as I see fit.  Personally, I
think new-maintainer, ftpmaster and keyring-maint are _all_ higher
priority than a patch for a bug which affects very few people.

I also think there is a serious attitude problem here.  Why is it so
important that the patch is applied?  The point is you've _done the
work_.  It's available now in the BTS for me, Chris, or some future
maintainer of mawk.  If you're going to get in a huff every time a
maintainer is slow in applying a patch or responding, you might as
well give up now.

In any event, I can tell you one thing that _won't_ make me hurry to
apply your patch, and that's bitching about me on a mailing list I may
or may not read and misrepresenting (to put it lightly) what I said to
you.

--
James