upstream bug fixes to procps

I'm the author of the "ps" program. I notice that your procps maintainer
does not seem to get email that I send. (he may be busy -- I don't know)
There have been many fixes to the procps package, but you still seem to
have a buggy old version according to the bug database you have on the web.

I and the package maintainer both use Red Hat, so there is no way either
one of us could produce Debian packages. I hate to see you stuck with an
obsolete version though. I've no idea if you are preparing a release now,
but I'm sure you will want to get this package updated before then.

BTW, it is highly likely that your /bin/kill program is in violation
of the appropriate standards. I supply an alternative with procps that
you might want to consider using instead.

http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/procps-990417.tar.gz

----------- recent changes ------------------

Changes for procps-990320 --> procps-990417 include:

various Makefile fixes
kill man page restored
fixed %cpu wrap after 1/2 day of CPU time
minor man page updates
"skill" should compile with crummy SPARC headers
snice man page now just a reference
vmstat column width change
buffer overflow in watch fixed
top has a few new options
Hertz value should be correct on SMP hardware

procps-990312 --> procps-990320

Noted some bugs in the TODO file
header control changed
PID limit adjusted

procps-990224 --> procps-990312

moved GPL and LGPL files around, various related updates
version number now 2.0
build process fixed up a bit
free works better through a pipe
glibc patch included
skill-kill-snice man pages look normal now, plus minor content updates
many man pages now part of the "Linux User's Manual"
search for "/System.map" too
tone of HZ rant adjusted
more Mandatory Access Control support (needs kernel work)
struct names changed to please gdb users
AIX added to the list of modern UNIX systems
exit(1) as needed for crummy old scripts
changed "dead kids" reference to something less disgusting
added many new format specifiers to the ps man page
bug fix in skill-snice-kill name code
ioctl changed to tcsetattr
vmstat output columns are wider
watch man page fix
w.c fix

-------------- debian bug list --------------------

#34394: ps can't handle PIDs > 30000
fixed, in the previous version

#27291: Top is confused with too many processes
not reproducable, likely fixed a long time ago

#33023: procps: cpu times and percentages are half what I expect
fixed

#33284: vmstat reporting incorrect CPU idle time
Give me an account... I simply can not test this.

#34250: watch segfaults
fixed, in the previous version

#34734: proctop occasionally reports outrageous % idle
kernel support is required to fix this

#34956: ps formatting problem
C library problem, patch and workaround included

#35240: procps: /bin/ps must always exist
Debian bug: oldps should not be renamed or it should be in /usr/ucb.

#35247: procps: ps.bsd should be in /bin
Debian bug: oldps should not be renamed or it should be in /usr/ucb.

#35520: dpkg-source -x procps_2.0.0-2.dsc failes on wrong patch
Debian bug

#35756: procps: wrong spacing in vmstat header
fixed

#34580: procps: 'w' does not handle unix98 ptys properly
fixed a long time ago

#35137: Zombies
not really a bug

#24531: procps: incorrect w output with bash pipelines
this should be a wishlist item

#29970: watch does not obey SIGWINCH.
OK, I suppose this is a real bug :-)

#19171: 'w' IDLE time not consistent
yeah, that sucks

#19208: skill uses commandline not process name
then again, someone would report a bug if it was the other way (it is now)

#21473: procps no longer has colours
sick