Re: Another job for the QA team

>   c) There should be a wm-configure script which would be invoked
>      by the hooks mechanism if it is implemented or issued by the
>      admin otherwise.  I've already shown an example for this script.

Hooks mechanism?  Do you mean the postinst, or something else?

> If I remember correctly (I haven't bothered with this before) all
> window managers place the name of the executable in
> /etc/X11/window-managers.  Although there is a prioritized ordering
> in the file there is no easy way to detect the default manager since
> the first manager that add itself to the file doesn't need to be the
> default.

That's correct.

> Now come up with proposals how to detect the default one.  This
> must not break the current mechanism.
>
>  . What about a blank line?

Hmm, not obvious to a sysadmin or user, but could be commented in the
file.

>  . What about the default being placed before the comments?

Again, not necessarily so obvious.

>  . Maybe re-use /etc/X11/config?

Eeks, no!  That would be faaaaar too confusing.  We only just got rid
of it.

Perhaps we could have the window-managers left as is, but with an
extra comment line:
# default: /usr/X11R6/bin/xwm

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk