Re: Another job for the QA team

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 09:21:58PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> We should detect superflous {pre,post}{inst,rm} questions and ask the
> maintainers to remove them.
>
> Rationale:
>
>   Debian GNU/Linux is already known as the one and only distribution
>   that bothers the user with as many questions as it can.  This makes
>   the installation of Debian somewhat painful and non-intactive.
>   Although there is - theoretically - another sub-project that
>   addresses non-interactive installations which should try to reduce
>   user required input of data.

... but that is not yet finished.

One more reason not to have press-enter-to-continue's in maintainer
scripts, even if the information or question presented seems important
(some "crucial" change to a conffile or something like that): if you
have something to say, don't put press-enter after displaying the
information, but send the info to our FAQ maintainer for inclusion in
Debian FAQ.

There should be something in the Policy about not putting unusable
or not set up correctly by default configuration files in the package?

One more thing: tell the maintainers that these issues really are
considered bugs, and their their priority must not be downgraded to
wishlist.