Re: Closing libc4 related bugs.

Martin Schulze wrote:
> Is somebody working on this?  Does somebody else than you want to achive
> this?

I'm very interested in making this happen, but I don't know how I can get
the necessary changes made to the system with the BTS on it. I suppose the
first step is to modify debbugs..

> I mean, what are archived bugs worth which were in distributions
> from ages ago?  Distribs that we don't support anymore, that we don't
> run anymore, that we have withdrawn ourselves for good reason, that we
> discourage to use - and bugs that are not present in new versions of
> the relevant packages.

I can think of a variety of reasons. One is plain historical interest. I'd
like to read bug #1 sometime (or whatever the number of the first
substantial bug was). I'd like to read a few hundred of the first bugs to
get a fell for what the project was like back then and what issues they were
grappling with. And I expect others might feel the same way in 5 years about
today's bugs.

There are more practical reasons too. There are changelogs today that say
stuff like "* defoo'd the bar (#1012)" or worse, " * fixed bug #1012", which
is completly incomprehensible unless you can get at bug #1012. And it can be
useful to go back and read the bug report that resulted in a change being
made in a packafe if you no longer understand the purpose of that change.

Another even better reason is writing a regression test suite. This is
something I'd like to do for debhelper, for example. If I had a complete bug
history for debhelper, I could add regression tests to ensure those bugs
don't recurr.

--
see shy jo