Re: schroot mounting directory from host

On 19 Jan 2021, at 15:56, jffry@posteo.net wrote:

I've also seen that I can launch schroot interactively, but that (understandably by default) seems to have no access to the host, but it would be much more comfortable to mount the host directory where I am debugging the package so that I can see the directory in both the the chroot and the host.

Hi Jeff,

This is a standard schroot feature—enable a bind mount in the schroot configuration.  Look at the different “profiles” in /etc/schroot.  You’ll see bind mounting used for the “desktop” profile.  You’ll want to copy that for the “sbuild”/“buildd” profile in use with your sbuild commands.  Add a bind mount for the build directory, and you should be able to see the same location on both the host and in the chroot.

You can have multiple “profiles” and multiple chroot configurations.  You could create different ones for use with sbuild, and choose the one you want when running sbuild.

That said, the chroot should be directly accessible to you from the host system, so shouldn’t be strictly necessary.  Depends on the setup, but it should be under /var/lib/schroot/session or similar.  Run "schroot -i" and it will tell you the “mount location” on the host system.  You might need to be root to access it, but it shouldn’t require any configuration changes.

Regards,
Roger