Re: mrxvt in Debian buster

On 28 Jun 2019 4:55 pm, Gautam Iyer <gautam@math.cmu.edu> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place / person to report this to. I
noticed mrxvt was distributed with stretch, but not in Buster.

Is there a reason for this?

Yes. The package was actively removed from Debian due to missing functionality compared to an abundance of alternatives. The package is simply not of a high enough standard. UTF-8 support is a glaring omission and as all the alternatives have UTF-8, mrxvt is not of sufficient quality to be included in Debian.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=869743

As things stand, mrxvt will not be in any future release of Debian.

I'm one of the authors of mrxvt -- it's no
longer under "active development", but is being maintained / used every
day me. If there's anything I can do to get mrxvt back in buster please
let me know. (If I missed the freeze window, have to wait until the next
RC, or until the next major release, that's not a problem. Just let me
know what needs to be done.)

Due to the number of alternatives available which are in much better state, I don't see any way to get this package back into Debian. It's just not worth the effort, as a volunteer. Sorry.

Best,

Gautam

--
A topologist is a person who doesn't know the difference between a
coffee cup and a doughnut.