htdig changes between wheezy and stretch

Hello,

I know there has been very little development happening to this tool since 2004.

We use it as a public search tool for our website.
A clone of our web server has recently been a subject of a distro upgrade wheezy->jessie-> stretch.
This replacement candidate is still being tested.

There is a subtle difference in version number between htdig in both:

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/htdig
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/htdig

Which (as I'm suspecting) has somehow resulted in completely different set of results being returned for any key word. After running /usr/bin/rundig on both servers the results count can differ as much as 800(old) vs 400(new).

The files lists are ordered differently and I haven't noticed any pattern to the difference (such as e.g. missing .pdf extensions).
The /etc/htdig configuration directories are absolutely identical on both.

Can you somehow explain the differences we are seeing and advise if there is anything we can do / try?

Regards
Adam