Re: Join QA team

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:51:30 -0500
Daniel Echeverry <epsilon77@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm Daniel Echeverry and I want to join the team to maintain orphans
> packages, I've been using free software from 5 years ago, and I love GNU
> Debian for your philosophy, quality and great community !

First thing to do is a fair bit of reading. Have you tried doing any
packaging already?

http://www.debian.org/devel/

From that page, you must read the Policy Manual, Developers Reference
and the New Maintainer Guide. It's often good to work with an orphaned
package whilst going through these guides.

http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/welcome

Probably the easiest way to get started is actually to triage some of
the bugs outstanding against orphaned packages. Try to reproduce the
problems, add comments to those bugs which you can't reproduce.

There isn't going to be a lot of advice on this list, the best place
for packaging advice is:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

I don't have time to sponsor uploads, so I can't help much more than
point you at other places where you can ask questions and find out how
things work.

HTH

--

Neil Williams