RM: d4x -- RoQA; non-free
reassign 569648 ftp.debian.org
retitle 569648 RM: d4x -- RoQA; non-free
affects 569648 + d4x
Dear FTP team,
can you remove d4x ? At a first glance, it looks like distributed under the
Artistic license, but source file headers and discussion with upstream show
that he really meant much more restrictive conditions:
anx178 ↱d4x-184.108.40.206↲$ head main/main.h
/* WebDownloader for X-Window
* Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Koshelev Maxim
* This Program is free but not GPL!!! You can't modify it
* without agreement with author. You can't distribute modified
* program but you can distribute unmodified program.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
d4x has not seem to have been updated upstream since 2006. Its upstream homepage
is actually dead.
It has been removed from other distributions like Fedora (although for other reasons):
Its restrictive license killed the fork that tried to revive it: http://www.d4x.net/
Le Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 02:52:53AM +0200, Arnaud GRANAL a écrit :
> I have bad news about this.
> Maxim is very clear about this issue:
> "You can distribute only unmodified sources." =(
(Where Maxim is the upstream author of d4x).
No other package depend on d4x or d4x-common.
Its popcon vote score is 100, but there are other alternatives, like uget or aria2
For all these reason, I propose the removal of d4x.
Have a nice day,
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan