Bug#570915: applications crash with SIGSEGV when starting
- To: Frank Lin PIAT <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Bug#570915: applications crash with SIGSEGV when starting
- From: Sven Joachim <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:49:27 +0100
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Sven Joachim <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com> (Frank Lin PIAT's message of "Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:29:52 +0100")
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <handler.570915.B.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
tags 570915 + moreinfo
On 2010-02-22 09:29 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> reassign 570915 ncurses
Please CC <newpackage>@packages.debian.org when you reassign a bug, all
I received was the message from the control bot, and I had to look up
the report on the Web.
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:36 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
>> Package: aptitude
>> Severity: important
>> Since my last packages upgrade of DebianTesting, aptitude crash when
>> I use it's ncurse interface (from console and xterm):
>> > Ouch! Got SIGSEGV, dying..
>> > Segmentation fault
> On my system, some (most/all?) other libncursesw5 based applications are
> affected, like lynx-cur, powertop, dialog, nano
It goes without saying that all these programs work fine on ten
thousands systems, so I suspect this is a problem on your site. Please
run "debsums libncursesw5 ncurses-base" and fsck your filesystems.
> I have added a strace for:
>> dialog --infobox Hello 10 10
Unfortunately strace is useless for segfaults. Please install
libncursesw5-dbg and run the program under GDB, e.g.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug gdb nano
When the program segfaults, type "bt" at the gdb prompt and send the
backtrace. Hopefully gdb does not segfault itself 8-) (it's linked
against libncurses5, but not libncursesw5).