Bug#485809: marked as done (bsdmainutils: [columns] -n option not documented as a debian extension)
Your message dated Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:02:07 +0000
with message-id <E1N75X5-0004pW-Tb@ries.debian.org>
and subject line Bug#485809: fixed in bsdmainutils 8.0.1
has caused the Debian Bug report #485809,
regarding bsdmainutils: [columns] -n option not documented as a debian extension
to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact email@example.com
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with problems
--- Begin Message ---
The "-n" option seems to be a debian only extension added to fix
The man page suggests that it is the column from 4.3BSD-Reno as
found on all BSDs and most Linux for decades.
So I've been fooled into thinking the "-n" option was portable
to all those free software Unices.
It would be nice if the fact that "-n" is debian-specific was
documented in the HISTORY or PORTABILITY section of the man
column is available on BSDs and most Linux distributions. -n
is a debian extension.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 188.8.131.52
Locale: LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-15, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.ISO-8859-15 (charmap=ISO-8859-15)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Versions of packages bsdmainutils depends on:
ii bsdutils 1:184.108.40.206-1 Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite
ii debianutils 2.28.6 Miscellaneous utilities specific t
ii libc6 2.7-11 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libncurses5 5.6+20080503-1 Shared libraries for terminal hand
bsdmainutils recommends no packages.
-- no debconf information
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
bsdmainutils, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Michael Meskes <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated bsdmainutils package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:31:56 +0100
Architecture: source amd64
Maintainer: Debian Bsdmainutils Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Michael Meskes <email@example.com>
bsdmainutils - collection of more utilities from FreeBSD
Closes: 264996 280176 293689 315664 319952 335087 337311 348032 358609 361223 367299 368384 381114 382638 388153 401091 413900 415057 431930 446547 455248 472355 474600 484579 485809 487985 493759 497014 498232 503276 507602 516271 525925 528657 542229 543833 547622 554561
bsdmainutils (8.0.1) unstable; urgency=low
* Added patch system to be able to track upstream's source more
* Updated ncal to the latest upstream version. (Closes: #415057)
* New maintainers. (Closes: #543833)
* Bumped Standards version to 3.8.3, no update needed.
* Made ncal find the first day of the week automatically.
* Added -3 option to cal and ncal. (Closes: #497014)
* Made ncal cope with longer month names. (Closes: #528657)
* Document that cal always prints 8 lines. (Closes: #367299)
* Made ncal catch incorrect year parameter. (Closes: #431930)
* Made ncal use locale information for knowing how to display week.
* Updated col to the latest FreeBSD version.
(Closes: #319952, #348032, #484579)
* Patched col to recognize a single non-empty line without newline.
* Updated colrm to the latest FreeBSD version. (Closes: #516271)
* Updated column to latest FreeBSD version. (Closes: #368384)
* Made column react more gracefully upon reading empty fields.
* Re-added '-n' option to column and documented it as a Debian
extension. (Closes: #485809)
* Updated colcrt to the latest FreeBSD version.
* Updated banner to latest FreeBSD version.
* Renamed banner to printerbanner. (Closes: #315664)
* Updated hexdump to its latest FreeBSD version.
* Bumped debhelper compat level.
* Added patch to prevent segfault in case an empty repetition is
given. (Closes: #498232)
* Added patch to make hd ignore -C option. (Closes: #487985)
* Updated from to latest FreeBSD version.
* Updated ul to latest FreeBSD version but kept our changes
* Updated lorder to latest version from OpenBSD.
* Re-added patch that makes lorder use signal names instead of
* Updated look to latest version from FreeBSD. (Closes: #547622)
* Reimplemented and documented -b option for look. (Closes: #264996)
* Update write to the latest FreeBSD version.
* Allow writing from a terminal that has mesg n set. (Closes: #455248)
* Updated calendar binary to latest version from OpenBSD. (Closes: #503276)
* Patched new calendar sources to use wide-character functions.
* Created patch to put Debian specific options back into calendar
tool. (Closes: #293689)
* Updated all calendars from their FreeBSD sources.
(Closes: #388153, #413900, #446547, #542229)
* Added/Fixed some calendar entries as reported by Debian users.
(Closes: #554561, #337311, #525925, #493759, #381114, #280176))
* Added Kazakhstan holiday calendar. (Closes: #358609)
* Updated Ubuntu calendar. (Closes: #474600)
* Removed double word in manpage. (Closes: #401091)
* Changed patch of source.data.gz mentioned in README. (Closes: #507602)
* Added lintian override for setgid write binary.
* Bumped version to 8.0.1 because we are using sources from FreeBSD 8 now.
fbc70c465f992b86cb41fd7b8f8c076468a10edf 857 bsdmainutils_8.0.1.dsc
9ff212232441080e8eb5d8268e718cefa951f318 250897 bsdmainutils_8.0.1.tar.gz
dcc1d82282d6e0d87fa812d25ace60b094eb0354 197298 bsdmainutils_8.0.1_amd64.deb
9dcf752d8b3cdab0078eb18977714eda4794c07673cd0f9f452ec573b0011383 857 bsdmainutils_8.0.1.dsc
d7ef9be8cb16ed2180bed496a41f74511956a4a42303c71710817144f48f902a 250897 bsdmainutils_8.0.1.tar.gz
14eb9eb4fbd71704787a809fd4a1a7ddfca80631e79c9b50b415529dc297c2c2 197298 bsdmainutils_8.0.1_amd64.deb
1145378013bdfdb9d29b43f5040b85de 857 utils important bsdmainutils_8.0.1.dsc
46147db6db21d4cff5efc5278691cf2d 250897 utils important bsdmainutils_8.0.1.tar.gz
bc13d296b6b0ef822efa53eca4850197 197298 utils important bsdmainutils_8.0.1_amd64.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--- End Message ---