suggestion for htdig, #89041

Subject: friendly suggestion for htdig
Followup-For: Bug #89041
Package: htdig

*** Please type your report below this line ***
I'd like to make a friendly suggestion for htdig for Etch.  I think it
would be a good idea to include a note about external parsers in the
htdig.conf file (which did exist in the Sarge version of htdig).

I spent a few good hours, messing around with the file doc2html.pl
(which I found in the examples section of the included htdig
documentation).  Further, someone on the htdig mailing list suggested
this file.  Needless to say, no matter what I did, the file did not
work.  I then chanced upon the parse_doc.pl file, and got parsing to
work by adding the following to htdig.conf:

external_parsers: application/pdf->text/html
/usr/share/htdig/parse_doc.pl \
application/msword->text/html /usr/share/htdig/parse_doc.pl

It would be nice if this was already included in the htdig.conf file,
perhaps commented out, giving me the choice to activate it.  Perhaps
with a little note about installing xpdf-utils, and/or acroread, and
installing catdoc, to make it work.  That way, others can avoid losing
some precious time in setting up their search engine to parse pdf
documents.

It would also be a good idea to have the accompanying
documentation reflect the usage of the parse_doc.pl file, instead of
providing examples of stuff that clearly does not work (ie, replace the doc2html.pl stuff that's currently there).

Thanks for the great work on Debian.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
 APT prefers testing
 APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.16-2-686
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages htdig depends on:
ii debconf [debconf-2.0] 1.5.3 Debian configuration management sy
ii  libc6                        2.3.6.ds1-4 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libgcc1                      1:4.1.1-11  GCC support library
ii  libstdc++6                   4.1.1-11    The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii lockfile-progs 0.1.10 Programs for locking and unlocking ii perl 5.8.8-6.1 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction
ii  zlib1g                       1:1.2.3-13  compression library - runtime

htdig recommends no packages.

-- debconf information excluded