Re: Question about the diskless package

Frederic Dernbach <fredatwork@free.fr> writes:

> I've heard that the 'diskless' package is being reoved from the testing
> and unstale releases of Debian.
>
> I've looked at the developer information about this package. Its last
> release (0.3.18.0.5) is available in sarge but no more in testing or
> unstable.
>
> It looks like this package is being droped from Debian. However, I do
> not see it in the list of packages looking for a new maintainer (WNPP).

It was removed a couple of weeks ago after being up for adoption for
four years.  See <http://bugs.debian.org/107808> for details.

> If a new maintainer is needed, I will volunteer since I've been very
> successfull using this package and I already produced useful
> customizations to it.
>
> What should I do to volunteer as a new maintainer in order to save this
> very usefull package ?

At this point, you can follow the procedure for creating a new package
outlined at <http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html>.
Note that <http://bugs.debian.org/src:diskless> lists a number of bugs.
It may be simpler to port your customizations to lessdisks...

Cheers,

Matej