Re: Please recompile packages against libmysqlclient12.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 06:23:24PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:

> > libmysqlclient10 and 11 do not support OpenSSL. libmysqlclient12 does
> > optionally link against OpenSSL.
> >
> > OpenSSL will stay in the main mysql packages but I ask the MySQL people
> How viable would be to add a new package for libmysqlclient12 that wouldn't
> link against openssl? libmysqlclient-nossl12 or something?

Building it wouldn't be a problem apart from having to compile mysql
almost twice.
But how to install such library? Either people have to edit their
programs to build with -lmysqlclient-nossl i.e. edit configure and
Makefiles, or users have to decide for one or the other and one package
that needs libmysqlclient-ssl therefore indirekt conflicts with a lot of
other packages.

Given that the change is upstream and the rest of the world including
the upstreams of your programs have to deal with the problem anyway, I
don't think that we should make us too much work with a special way.
A seperate package is ok for the meantime to avoid having to deal with
it immediately but we should take another solution before the next
release.

bye,

-christian-