News about your Debian package 'egon'.

Dear  Debian QA Group

I'm sending you this mail because you are the maintainer of 'egon',
which claims a dependency on Xaw3d library. I'm the maintainer of that lib,
which has now a new upstream, after more than 5 years of inactivity.

The upstream merged almost all Debian patches and did some modifications to
the sources, in order to correct some known bugs. This is the good news.
Unfortunately, the new release could break your program, and this is the
bad one.

I found at least that it breaks xfig (which has a known patch
ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/xfig-3.2.4-Xaw3d-1.5E.udiff) and gv.
No problems are detected for emacs21 at this moment.
Other packages could be broken.

A new package (release 1.5e-1) has been uploaded in the
EXPERIMENTAL staging area and I hope you check your package against
that library, and send ASAP me information about possible problems.
It will not stay in the staging area indefinitively :) and when
uploaded in sid it could seriuosly break your package.

     deb http://ftp.xy.debian.org/debian/ ../project/experimental main
     deb-src http://ftp.xy.debian.org/debian/ ../project/experimental main

The new library is not considered a new major release and a change
in its soname is not justified, at the moment.

Thank you

--
Francesco P. Lovergine