Apt Seg Faults

I've done something terribly wrong with my apt package manager.  I'm not sure
what I've done, but here are the symptoms:

deanlandry:/# apt-get -f install

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  gettext
  gettext
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 340kB of archives. After unpacking 1049kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://mirror.direct.ca testing/main gettext 0.10.40-5 [340kB]
Fetched 340kB in 2s (162kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package gettext.
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `emacsen-common' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.
48872 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gettext (from .../gettext_0.10.40-5_i386.deb) ...
Setting up emacs21 (21.2-1) ...
Can't call method "AF" without a package or object reference at
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives line 125.
dpkg: error processing emacs21 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
Setting up gettext-el (0.10.40-6) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gettext-el.postinst: line 5: 22787 Segmentation fault
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install gettext-el
dpkg: error processing gettext-el (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gettext:
 gettext depends on gettext-el; however:
  Package gettext-el is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gettext (--configure):
 emacs21
 gettext-el
 gettext

deanlandry:/# apt-get install emacsen-common
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, emacsen-common is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up emacs21 (21.2-1) ...
Can't call method "AF" without a package or object reference at
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives line 125.
dpkg: error processing emacs21 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
Setting up gettext-el (0.10.40-6) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gettext-el.postinst: line 5: 22898 Segmentation fault
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install gettext-el
dpkg: error processing gettext-el (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gettext:
 gettext depends on gettext-el; however:
  Package gettext-el is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gettext (--configure):
 emacs21
 gettext-el
 gettext
deanlandry:/#

It would seem some portion of emacs is stuck unconfigured... and it seems as
though apt will not do anything until this is fixed.  I tried running 'dpkg
--purge' on ecah of the mentioned packages, but similar errors occur.  Any
help is greatly appreciated!

Dean